Briton Keen For Tour De France Return And Boost To Stage

Chris Froome intent on seeing out contract with Israel-Premier Tech

Briton keen for Tour de France return and boost to stage

Former Tour de France champion Chris Froome not value for money says Israel-Premier Tech team owner Sylvan Adams makes brutally honest assessment of...

Chris Froome has said he intends to see out his contract with the Israel-Premier Tech team, despite team owner Sylvan Adams suggesting he should retire at the end of 2023.

Adams said in an interview with Cycling Weekly that Froome was "not value for money" and that he would not be offered a new contract beyond 2023.

But Froome, who is 37, said he was still capable of winning races and that he was determined to see out his contract, which runs until the end of 2025.

"I'm still confident that I can win races," Froome said. "I'm still motivated and I'm still enjoying riding my bike. I'm not ready to retire yet."

Froome has won the Tour de France four times, but he has struggled for form in recent years. He has not won a race since 2018 and he finished 13th in the 2023 Tour de France.

Adams said that Froome's age and recent form were factors in his decision not to offer him a new contract.

"Chris is a great champion, but he's not getting any younger," Adams said. "He's also not performing at the level that we need him to be at."

Froome said he understands Adams' decision, but he is disappointed that he will not be offered a new contract.

"I'm disappointed, but I respect Sylvan's decision," Froome said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity to have ridden for Israel-Premier Tech and I wish the team all the best in the future."

Adams has since suggested Froome has a rolling contract but the rider apparently agreed a five-year deal in 2021 that will run until the end of 2025 when he will be 40 years old.


No comments :

Post a Comment